Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Winter Woes

Being a newbie to this illuminating naturalista, transitioning back-to-me crusade, I thought I could continue with the same summer hair regiment right on into winter. This included wash-n-go’s, wetting it often, leaving my fragile ends unprotected, etc. I figured I had gotten my type 4c hair to fabulously lush and invincibly strong with little to no research, so why fix anything that isn't broken? That mindset QUICKLY changed when I woke up one morning and unsuccessfully ran my fingers through my tresses. My once humbly soft hair could now thoroughly clean the dirtiest of stoves. Distraught, I ran to Google and typed in every possible combination of words in attempt to get this crown back on track. For the past couple of weeks, my hair has been a test dummy for a bunch of at-home remedies, as well as an abundance of in-store hair care products. And it's like new life has sprouted from the top of my head! Here are a couple of tips that will keep your hair looking like it needs it's own theme song during these harsh winter months:

 1. MOISTURIZE. Period.
    The winter air takes out a good amount of moister from our curls, but you will need to know your own hair for this one. My hair has the bad habit of drying out very quickly (porosity through the roof), so every afternoon I give it a spritz of water, mixed with a bit of leave in conditioner (more leave in than water), then massage about a dime size of a moisturizing oil into it. My preference right now is olive oil because it's easily accessible, and gives my hair a soft, healthy sheen.   

2. Shampoo Less, Condition & Deep Condition More Often   

    Because shampooing too much can strip your hair of it's natural oils, I would suggest shampooing every other week, using a moisturizing shampoo, but conditioning and deep conditioning at least once a week. PLEASE do not wash your hair, then step outside. Besides making you sick, the cold air can freeze your tresses, and break them off! I'm sure you Queens don't want that.
 

3. Hot Oil Treatments        
    Treat your hair to a nice hot oil massage for 30 - 45 minutes once per week. You can use any carrier oil, such as sweet almond oil, grape seed oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, just to name a few (I loved the way jojoba oil strengthened my hair and made it incredibly easy to manage). 


4. Use Less Heat 
    Heat = Dryness & Breakage. Besides the winter air, the heat gloriously bursting through the heater is, unfortunately, NOT your hair's best friend. It's also taking away moisture, so there's no real need to add extra stress to your tresses by putting the blow dryer (if you do use one) on full blast. If you happen to like blow dryers, I would suggest putting it on "cool."


5. Protective Styling 
    This just insures that you're hair will be able to stay healthy and retain length for the long run. Just because it's protective, doesn't mean it has to be boring! Get creative while protecting those fragile ends - Braid it, twist it, bantu knot it, rock a shrunken afro, swing it to the left, the right - Do something!  Here are a few of my favorites:

The Bun
 Bantu Knots
 Twisted Side Fro-Hawk
 Updo
Yarn Braids












These tips should be stepping stones to creating your own hair-care regiment for these strenuous weather conditions. The winter is definitely a tough competitor for our manes, but it doesn't have to win. Take some time with your hair. Learn it and get to know what will quench its thirsty roots this season.


                                                        Grae     

No comments:

Post a Comment